Georgia Tech Upgrades to TurningPoint 8: What Does that Mean for Faculty and Instructors?
Georgia Tech is upgrading its audience response system (clicker system) to the latest version, TurningPoint 8, for the Fall 2017 semester. In addition, Georgia Tech is also announcing the purchase of an enterprise license for TurningPoint, which will allow students to use the system for free.
If you are an instructor using TurningPoint for polling, you will need to follow a few steps to upgrade to the latest version. These steps are outlined below:
How does this impact my students?
- Students can use the TurningPoint mobile app at no cost if you allow mobile devices in your classroom.
- Students may continue using the clickers they already own. Students who do not own a clicker device can purchase one from the Georgia Tech bookstore.
Steps for Upgrading to TurningPoint 8.
- Download TurningPoint 8 to your laptop at https://www.turningtechnologies.com/downloads (choose one of the three files: TurningPoint Mac, TurningPoint PC Install, or TurningPoint PC No Install). It will be pre-installed on podium computers in most classrooms.
- Decide whether you want to allow mobile devices in your classroom.
- If yes, then the use of Turning Point will be free for your students – they will respond to your in-class polls using their mobile devices.
- If no, your students will still need to purchase a clicker device online or at the Georgia Tech bookstore.
- If you want your students to use clicker devices, prepare your receiver:
- Receivers will be pre-installed on podium computers in most classrooms.
- If you already have a receiver that is WHITE in color, you will need to upgrade it for use with TurningPoint 8. You will be prompted to upgrade it once you plug it in to a computer and open the TurningPoint 8 software. Once it is upgraded, it can no longer be used with TurningPoint 5.
- If you have an older version of the receiver that is GREY in color, it cannot be used with TurningPoint 8. If so please send a request to email@example.com.
About the Upgrade
Can I reuse the TurningPoint files created in older versions of the software?
Yes, anything created in older versions of TurningPoint can be brought into TurningPoint 8. However, it is not backwards compatible.
What should I tell my students to do, such as downloading TurningPoint app, registration, etc.?
We prepared FAQs for students on all things they need to know. Please direct them to the web page at http://www.ctl.gatech.edu/it/clicker/student for more information and how to get support when they have questions.
What is new in TurningPoint 8?
TurningPoint 8 has added new functionalities and UI improvements. Details about the new features and functionalities can be found in this TurningPoint 8 flyer.
Using TurningPoint Integration with T-Square and Canvas
Students and instructors, whether they use the clicker device or the TurningPoint app, are required to register their TurningPoint account with T-Square or Canvas. As an instructor, you need to add the TurningPoint tool to your course site before they can register. Please see the instructions below on how to add the tool to your course in T-Square and Canvas respectively:
|Adding TurningPoint Tool in T-Square||Adding TurningPoint Tool in Canvas|
Add Courses from T-Square and Canvas to TurningPoint Software
The purpose of adding courses from T-Square and Canvas is to get your student roster with the their TurningPoint registration. With the registration, the student responses you collected from class polling will be identified and graded, supposing you have provided answers to the questions polled. Then you can upload the grades to the gradebook in T-Square and Canvas.
|Add Courses from T-Square||Add Courses from Canvas|
You can add your courses by connecting to T-Square through TurningPoint:
If you don't see any of your courses listed, you probably haven't added the TurningPoint 8 tool to your course site in T-Square (to add it to the site, go to Site Info >> Edit Tools).
You can add your courses by connecting Canvas through TurningPoint:
Update Course Roster in TurningPoint
|Update Roster for T-Square Courses||Update Roster for Canvas Courses|
Upload Grades from TurningPoint to T-Square and Canvas
|Upload Grades to T-Square||Upload Grades to Canvas|
Using TurningPoint 8 Software
- Do I need to create an account in order to use TurningPoint 8?
You will need to use your Georgia Tech email to sign in when you first start TurningPoint 8 software. After you enter your email, you will be directed to the Georgia Tech login service page to log in with your credentials.
If you have never created a Turning account before, you may get an email from Turning Technologies and you need to click on a link in the email to authorize your account. If you have created an account before, this step will be skipped.
- My students have asked which channel and session ID is used for my class. Where can I find that information?
Channel number: When you first open the TurningPoint 8 software (make sure you are under the Polling tab), you will find the channel number displayed under Receiver — if a receiver is already plugged in to the computer you use. Clicking the number will allow you to change the channel number.
Session ID: If students in your class use TurningPoint app, you need to enable mobile responses by click the Enable link under Mobile Responses (make sure you are under the Polling tab). You can use a session ID randomly generated or reserve a session ID to be used through the entire semester.
- Can I show the channel number/session ID on my question slides?
Yes, clicking on the connection icon on the polling bar will display/hide the channel number and session ID on your slides (see a screen capture).
- I forgot to load my course roster when conducting a clicker session. Can I still identify the data I collected?
When you poll questions without using a course roster, the session data will be listed under Manage >> Auto. If you already added a course, drag the session data, and drop it under the course. If your students have registered, the responses in the session data will be identified. If you haven't added a course to TurningPoint, you need to do that first. Please refer to the above section on adding courses to TurningPoint..
- I accidentally polled questions anonymously. Can the data still be identified by using a course roster?
Unfortunately, no. Data collected through polling anonymously can't be identified.
- I use the podium computer. Where in the computer is the data saved?
The default directory for the clicker session data is your prism drive (TurningPoint >> Session Data), which allows you to access the data from any computer in which the prism drive is mounted. Instructions on mounting your prism drive can be found here.
- How do I save a copy of the session data to my flash drive?
Click on the Disk icon on your TurningPoint toolbar, and select Save as New Session. At the end of the session, when you close the TurningPoint software, you'll be asked if you want to save the session data. Select Yes and save the data to your computer or a portable drive.
- I have TAs that will assist me in using TurningPoint for class polling and grading. What do they need to know?
Your TAs need to select instructor role when they first create their Turning Technologies account. If they had a student account with Turning Technologies before, they would need to submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will switch their role.
Departmental or individual training is available upon request. Please email email@example.com if you would like to schedule a training or consultation.
Instructor-led webinars (offered by Turning Technologies)
Support contact at Georgia Tech: firstname.lastname@example.org.
OIT Classroom Technology Support: If you have difficulty in using the clicker system on the podium computer in classrooms, please contact OIT Classroom Support at 404.894.4669 or by submitting a ticket requesting assistance. If you have difficulties using TurningPoint on your own computer, check with the CSR in your department for assistance
Turning Technologies Customer Support: 1.866.746.3015 (8a.m.-9p.m., EST, Monday through Friday).